Knowledgeable Criminal Defense Attorney Fighting Drug Crime Charges in Denton, Lewisville, Frisco and all of North Texas
Texas has a hard-nosed reputation for many things, including its stance on drug crimes. The state’s “zero tolerance” approach to drug crimes means that individuals accused of these crimes may face tough legal battles in and out of the courtroom. The majority of Texas courts adhere to the tough sentencing guidelines drafted by politicians.
If you were arrested in Texas for any type of drug-related offense(s) (including those involving marijuana), it is so important that you hire an experienced, knowledgeable drug-crime defense attorney. The potential consequences of a drug arrest – let alone a conviction – are very serious and may affect you and your family for the rest of your life. You need a dedicated, committed legal team that will work to craft the best possible defense strategies specific to your situation.
If you seek this type of legal representation during this trying time in your life, contact The Law Office of Gregory C. Goline, PLLC today to discuss your case.
Drugs That Lead to Criminal Charges
The opioid and heroin epidemic continues to affect the lives of countless individuals across Texas, as well as the entire nation. This addiction crisis continues to wreak havoc on the lives of individuals from all backgrounds; and it does not discriminate based on social class, ethnicity, career, wealth, or education. To do its part in fighting this epidemic, Texas takes a very tough approach to all drug offenses, including marijuana crimes.
In Texas, drug crimes often stem from an individual’s “involvement” with the following drugs:
- Cocaine (powder and crack)
- Opioids (especially oxycodone and fentanyl)
- Synthetic cannabinoids (including drugs such as K2 and Spice)
- And more
Defendants May Be Charged With a Number of State and Federal Drug Crimes
As is the case in most other states, the most commonly-charged drug-related offense in Texas is possession of a controlled substance (for individual use). The second most commonly-charged drug crime is possession of a controlled with the intent to “deliver.”
** Important note: Even though some states have legalized marijuana, Texas has not done so. Marijuana possession charges are very common, and penalties may be significant.
Texas law enforcement and prosecutors have many available options when it comes to bringing drug-related charges against potential defendants. Fortunately, the criminal defense attorneys at The Law Office of Gregory C. Goline, PLLC have significant experience defending clients accused of a whole host of drug crimes.
Some of the many types of drug charges we routinely handle include the following:
- Possession of a controlled substance, including possession of marijuana
- Possession of a controlled substance for sale
- Drug cultivation and manufacturing, including methamphetamine (as well as maintaining a meth lab)
- Delivery of a controlled substance, including distribution
- Drug importation, transportation, or trafficking
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
- Prescription fraud
Drug crimes fall into the following categories:
- State crimes
- Federal crimes
Each drug crime classification comes with its own set of potential penalties and sentencing guidelines. We have a successful track record in both state and federal courts in helping our clients avoid some or all of the possible penalties.
We understand how terrifying any arrest can be, particularly for an alleged drug-related offense. The consequences of an arrest alone can upend your personal life, professional life, and the lives of your families.
As serious, embarrassing, and outright awful as a drug arrest may be, a drug-crime conviction can be absolutely devastating. Our primary job as drug-crime defense lawyers is to do what it takes in order to minimize the implications faced by our clients in these situations.
Common criminal penalties and practical effects associated with various drug crimes include the following:
- Monetary fines
- Prison sentences (in addition to the reinstatement of any suspended sentences on file)
- Loss of employment and/or irreparable career damage
- Which may then lead to any number of financial problems
- Inability to volunteer at schools and other organizations
- Travel restrictions
- Damage to relationships with loved ones and friends
- Loss of driver’s license
- Loss of professional licenses (or an outright bar to obtaining certain licenses in the future)
- And so much more.
Local, Qualified Representation: Contact Denton’s Drug Crime Defense Attorneys Today
We are a local firm. We know exactly how to proceed in the courts of North Texas, and we will work relentlessly to defend your rights and to minimize the charges you face. With a former prosecutor on staff, we have a unique ability to anticipate the arguments and strategies we will face in negotiations and at trial.
Our defense strategies may include one or more of the following elements:
- Knowing when to negotiate and when to leave it up to the judge or jury
- Raising challenges to the validity of your arrest as well as any related searches and seizures conducted by law enforcement
- Intense cross examination of witnesses offered by the prosecution
- Relying on our experts and investigators
- Much more
The drug crime defense attorneys and the entire legal team at The Law Office of Gregory C. Goline, PLLC will evaluate all of the details of your case; and we pledge to formulate a unique, effective defense strategy specific to your situation. You can expect to be fully informed at each step in the process.
Call (940) 514-8113 now for a complimentary consultation. We accept credit cards and have payment plans available for your convenience.